Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I made fajitas today. I was out of fresh tomatoes and sweet peppers so I use what I had. Just keeping track. They were delicious. The fresh peppers, onions, and garlic are so yummy. Serve with cilantro, limes, sour cream, cheese, and tortillas.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken tenders
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 bulb of garlic (4 to 6 cloves, pressed, to taste)
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 -8 jalapeno peppers, sliced (seeded and deveined, wear gloves, if you skip deveining and deseeding it will be too hot)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 -1 1⁄2 tablespoon chili powder (to taste)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cumin (to taste)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- Brown Chicken tenders in a little olive oil over medium heat. Do not overcook! Cook until just fork tender. Add garlic, chili powder, salt and cook a minute more. Remove from skillet.
- Add onions to skillet and cook until just carmelized. About 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add peppers and tomatoes and cook for 3 or 4 minutes to soften peppers and reduce tomatoes.
- Add chicken combination back to pan with accumulated juices and just reheat. Add a tiny bit of water if you need the moisture to combine the flavors.
- Adjust seasonings. If you started with 1 tablespoon chili powder and 1/2 tsp cumin, you might want to sprinkle a little more over until it tastes right to you. If you started with 1/2 tsp salt, see if you want a little more.
- Fresh cilantro is delicious in this. A squeeze of fresh lime is yummy if you have it.