Recipe by SharonP
A recipe from Health Magazine. Have yet to try this. It sounded like a fast and healthy meal to me.
Top Review by GramCracker
This was a great alternative to higher fat and calorie options. I did adjust the spices but that was just personal preference. Even my husband who usually pours on the salad dressings liked this salad! The lime juice could easily be adjusted to personal tastes.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 6-inch corn tortillas, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- cooking spray
- 1 lb chicken breast tenders, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 1⁄2 cups julienne-cut green bell peppers (1/8 x 2-inch)
- 1 cup julienne-cut red bell pepper (1/8 x 2-inch)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 7 cups romaine lettuce leaves, torn
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine 1/4 t.
- salt, chili powder, and cumin in a small bown.
- Place tortilla strips on a cookie sheet coated with cooking spray and sprinkle with half the cumin mixture.
- Bake 425 degrees for 15 minutes or until tortillas are crisp and lightly browned and then cool on a wire rack.
- Combine remaining cumin mixture and chicken in a zip-top plastic bag and shake to coat.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken and cook 3 minutes on each side.
- Add julienne-cut green and red bell peppers and sliced onion and cook for 4 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Stirring frequently.
- To make dressing: Combine lime juice, olive oil, and 1/4 t.
- salt in a large bowl; stir with a whisk.
- Combine lime-juice mixture and lettuce and toss well.
- Divide lettuce evenly among 4 plates.
- Top each with chicken mixture, tomatoes and baked tortilla strips.
- Serving size: 1-3/4 cups lettuce, 3/4 cup chicken, 1/2 cup tomatoes and 12 tortilla strips.