1 hr 30 mins
Simply Scratch blogger's spin on Chipotle's Chicken Fajita Rice Bowls (with adaptations).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
FOR THE MARINADE
- 4 -6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 4 ounces each)
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 handful fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo seasoning, minced
- fajita seasoning mix, to taste (at least 1 teaspoon per breast)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
FOR THE RICE
- 4 servings cooked brown rice (about 1 cup cooked per bowl (or more) or 4 white rice, to taste (about 1 cup cooked per bowl (or more)
- 1 handful fresh cilantro, minced
- 2 pinches kosher salt
- 1/2 lime, juiced
FOR THE CHICKEN BOWLS
- olive oil
- 1/2 of each red bell pepper, orange bell pepper and green bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 cup fresh corn or 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1For the chicken: In a large bowl combine the chicken breast halves, lime juice, cilantro, minced chipotle peppers.
- 2In a small measuring cup or bowl, combine the fajita seasoning and the olive oil. Pour over top of the chicken and toss everything to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour. Note: The chicken and marinade can be placed in a Ziploc bag. Massage chicken to coat evenly.
- 3In the meantime: slice the peppers and onions. Thaw the corn if frozen and rinse beans.
- 4About 30 minutes before you're ready to cook, remove the chicken breast from the refrigerator, allowing to come to room temperature.
- 5In a deep skillet (preferably cast iron) heat up two tablespoons of butter and two tablespoons of olive oil over medium to medium high, adjusting the heat so as not to burn chicken. Once the pan is hot, work in batches by adding two chicken breast halves in the pan at a time. Cook for about 5-6 minutes per side, until fully cooked. Remove from heat and place the cooked breasts on a nearby platter and continue with the remaining chicken.
- 6Carefully wipe out any charred bits out of your pan before adding in the corn. Let the kernels cook over medium heat until they are deep golden and start to pop. Remove those back a platter and set off to the side.
- 7Pour a tablespoon of olive oil into the skillet and turn the heat up to medium-high. Once hot add in the peppers and cook just until tender crisp. Remove and repeat with the olive oil and the sliced onions. Remove the onions to the same platter as the peppers and turn off the stove.
- 8Place the chicken on a large cutting board. Slice and chop the chicken into bite-size pieces. Place the chicken back into the pan to keep warm on low but if you're using a cast iron skillet it will stay nice and warm for a while so you can just leave the heat off.
- 9In a medium bowl toss the brown rice with minced cilantro, salt and the juice of half a lime. Spoon the brown rice into bowls and top with peppers, onions, corn, black beans, chopped chicken and any optional toppings desired.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Fajita Rice Bowls
Serving Size: 1 (1376 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 408.9
- Calories from Fat 157
- Total Fat 17.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 75.5 mg
- Sodium 218.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.9 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 33.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
cooked brown rice