Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
You can make these using pork in place of the chicken. Adjust all amounts to taste. Slice the pitas down the center in half but still leaving a pocket, or you can also leave the pita unsliced if desired.
- 4 large whole wheat pita bread
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- 5 boneless chicken breasts, sliced into strips
- 1 tablespoon fajita seasoning mix (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 3 -4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, sliced into strips
- 1 large bell pepper (use red or green, seeded and cut into strips)
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 1 cup grated cheese (use a Mexi-blend or cheddar cheese, or to taste)
- 1 cup sliced ripe olives (optional or to taste)
- 2 medium firm tomatoes, finely chopped
- shredded lettuce
- Set oven to 325 degrees.
- In a bowl toss the chicken strips with the fajita spice mix and garlic powder (if using) toss to coat; set aside.
- Slice the pitas in half; spread about 1/4-cup of the refried beans on each half, place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Cover foil and bake for about 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add in the chicken strips and saute for about 5-6 minutes.
- Add in the onion slices and bell pepper slices; sate for about 3 minutes or until the chicken is done.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon the mixture equally between the 8 bean-filled warmed pitas.
- Top with sour cream, shredded cheddar, chopped tomatoes, shredded lettuce and olives.