Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
You can make these using pork in place of the chicken. Adjust all amounts to taste. Slice the pitas down the center in half but still leaving a pocket, or you can also leave the pita unsliced if desired.
- 4 large whole wheat pita bread
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- 5 boneless chicken breasts, sliced into strips
- 1 tablespoon fajita seasoning mix (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 3 -4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, sliced into strips
- 1 large bell pepper (use red or green, seeded and cut into strips)
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 1 cup grated cheese (use a Mexi-blend or cheddar cheese, or to taste)
- 1 cup sliced ripe olives (optional or to taste)
- 2 medium firm tomatoes, finely chopped
- shredded lettuce
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 325 degrees.
- In a bowl toss the chicken strips with the fajita spice mix and garlic powder (if using) toss to coat; set aside.
- Slice the pitas in half; spread about 1/4-cup of the refried beans on each half, place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Cover foil and bake for about 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add in the chicken strips and saute for about 5-6 minutes.
- Add in the onion slices and bell pepper slices; sate for about 3 minutes or until the chicken is done.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon the mixture equally between the 8 bean-filled warmed pitas.
- Top with sour cream, shredded cheddar, chopped tomatoes, shredded lettuce and olives.