I found a recipe on Recipezaar.com called "Gringo Casserole" which was very good, but I got the idea to make it more like my favorite Mexican dish; chicken fajitas. My whole family loves this dish and it's very easy to make.
- 3 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 small white onions or 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped or sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped or sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped or sliced
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 can tomatoes and green chilies
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup, fat free is fine
- 1⁄2 package flour tortilla
- 1 lb monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Boil breasts for 20 minutes or until thoroughly cooked.
- chop chicken into chunks and set aside.
- Saute onions, garlic, peppers, salt& black pepper over medium heat until tender.
- Mix soup, tomatoes-chile& chicken in large bowl.
- Tear tortillas into fourths.
- Layer tortillas on bottom of baking dish, top with soup-chicken-tomatoes-chiles mixture, then top with layer of sauted veggies, then top with layer of cheese.
- Repeat as needed until dish is full to top.
- Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.