I found a recipe on Recipezaar.com called "Gringo Casserole" which was very good, but I got the idea to make it more like my favorite Mexican dish; chicken fajitas. My whole family loves this dish and it's very easy to make.
- 3 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 small white onions or 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped or sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped or sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped or sliced
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 can tomatoes and green chilies
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup, fat free is fine
- 1⁄2 package flour tortilla
- 1 lb monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Boil breasts for 20 minutes or until thoroughly cooked.
- chop chicken into chunks and set aside.
- Saute onions, garlic, peppers, salt& black pepper over medium heat until tender.
- Mix soup, tomatoes-chile& chicken in large bowl.
- Tear tortillas into fourths.
- Layer tortillas on bottom of baking dish, top with soup-chicken-tomatoes-chiles mixture, then top with layer of sauted veggies, then top with layer of cheese.
- Repeat as needed until dish is full to top.
- Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.
I tryed this recipie for the first time last nightand I have to say WOW this was great very tasty. It was a big hit with famly and friends. They inhailed it nothing was left. great recipie
This is a great recipe that I will be making again! The only thing I did different was I used pre cooked chicken and used a packet of taco seasoning (followed directions like I would with beef) so I left out the garlic. Thanks for posting.
This was really easy to make and I will make it again, but I think next time I'll add some additional spices to the chicken mixture as it was a little bland for my taste (cumin, chili powder, etc.). Followed Kater's recommendation and only used one can of soup (98% fat free), I think two cans would be way too soupy. Instead of tomatoes with green chilies, I used a medium sized can of tomatoes and a small can of chilies. To make it lighter, I used less cheese and subbed in reduced fat Mexican cheese blend. Thank you for the quick and tasty meal.