Prep 0 mins
Cook 50 mins
From Goya's "Taste of the Americas: Mexico" booklet, enchiladas (Mexico's comfort food) are made with an authentic green tomatillo sauce. Some changes were made for simplicity or variations.
- 907.18 g boneless skinless chicken breasts
- adobo seasoning, to taste
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 78.07 ml sour cream
- 3 serrano chilies
- 2 (1474.17 g) canwhole tomatillos, drained
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 118.29 ml white onion, chopped
- 44.37 ml cilantro
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 4.92 ml adobo seasoning
- 12 corn tortillas or 12 flour tortillas
- 236.59 ml sour cream
- 1 white onion, diced
- 236.59 ml queso fresco or 236.59 ml monterey jack cheese
- Season chicken with adobo. Place chicken, onion, garlic in saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Remove from heat and let chicken cook in broth. Shred chicken meat, approximately 4 cups. Mix with sour cream.
- Put chilies in saucepan with enough water to cover, bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes. In batches, puree chilies, tomatillos, garlic, onion and cilantro in blender until smooth.
- In skillet on medium-high heat, heat oil until it starts to smoke. Add tomatillo sauce and cook, stirring constantly. When sauce begins to bubble, lower heat and cook for 5 minutes until noticeably darker and thicker. Season sauce with Adobo. There should be about 3 cups of sauce. If needed, stir in chicken broth.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Using your fingers, dip each tortilla briefly in sauce, covering both sides. Place on plate, spread on large spoonful of filling and roll up. Place seem side down in baking dish and repeat for each enchilada. Cover with remaining sauce, cover with foil and heat in oven for 10 minutes or until enchiladas are heated through. Top with sour cream, onions and cheese. Serve immediately.
These are great enchiladas! I used fresh tomatillos (simmered them with the chilis), otherwise made as directed. Just delicious - thanks for sharing a great recipe! Made for ZWT8, Chefs gone WILD!
These are delicious! Other than using fresh tomatillos, I followed the recipe exactly. Perfection. Thanks for sharing! Made for ZWT8.
I think I am now more of a fan of the green Verdes sauce then the normal red sauce!! I made this as written but scaled it back for just the 2 of us. I couldn't help myself and added some Monterey Jack cheese with the chicken mixture before rolling them up. This is a great and so tasty recipe. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for ZWT8.