Recipe by Lucky Chef
I have always loved the chicken enchiladas from El Chico. I decided to come up with my own recipe based on how I remember them. I was so excited because there were no leftovers. I used about 4 chicken legs and 3 small breasts for these enchiladas and I had about 1 and 1/2 cups leftover. I took a few bites to the office the next day and these are now requested for our Christmas potluck.
Top Review by Lets Get Cookin
Spoke with the head chef many years ago because I also loved these. The sauce is made with a flour/shortening base, milk, lime juice and a little sour cream. The lime juice is the trick to give it the "soured" taste!
- 1587.57 g frying chickens, cut up
- 7.08 g sazon goya, con azafran seasoning package
- 118.29 ml oil
- 177.44 ml flour
- 1182.95 ml chicken broth (I use the broth I cooked the chicken in)
- 453.59 g light sour cream
- 473.18 ml monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 2 (226.79 g) canchopped green chilies (save the liquid)
- 4.92 ml cumin
- 4.92 ml chili-garlic sauce
- salt and pepper
- 2.46 ml garlic powder
- 0.25 ml cayenne
- 14 corn tortillas
- 1 onion, chopped small dice about 3/4 cup
Directions See How It's Made
- Put chicken on to boil in enough water to cover chicken.
- Mix the SazonGoya con Azafran seasoning package into the chicken water.
- Boil chicken about 40 minutes till falling off the bone.
- De bone chicken saving all broth for later.
- Chop chicken into bite size pieces.
- Mix oil and flour together and set aside.
- Chop onion and saute in small amount of oil about a tsp till translucent.
- Add in oil and flour mixture stirring constantly for about 4 minutes till flour not raw.
- Add in Chicken broth about a cup at a time should have a nice sauce consistency. Add in the two cans of green chilis and the sour cream.
- Stir to combine.
- Season with Chili Sauce and Cumin.
- Set aside.
- Fry corn tortillas in small amount of oil and set aside,.
- Pour 1/2 on enchilada sauce into 12 x 9 large pyrex cooking dish.
- Lay tortilla flat put in small amount of cheese and chicken and roll.
- Place in pan seam side down.
- Repeat for all 14 tortillas.
- Cover with rest of sauce and sprinkle cheese on top.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake in 350 oven for 40 minutes.