1 hr 40 mins
Lucky Chef's Note:
I have always loved the chicken enchiladas from El Chico. I decided to come up with my own recipe based on how I remember them. I was so excited because there were no leftovers. I used about 4 chicken legs and 3 small breasts for these enchiladas and I had about 1 and 1/2 cups leftover. I took a few bites to the office the next day and these are now requested for our Christmas potluck.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/2 lbs frying chickens, cut up
- 1/4 ounce sazon goya, con azafran seasoning package
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3/4 cup flour
- 5 cups chicken broth (I use the broth I cooked the chicken in)
- 16 ounces light sour cream
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 2 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chilies (save the liquid)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili-garlic sauce
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 dash cayenne
- 14 corn tortillas
- 1 onion, chopped small dice about 3/4 cup
- 1Put chicken on to boil in enough water to cover chicken.
- 2Mix the SazonGoya con Azafran seasoning package into the chicken water.
- 3Boil chicken about 40 minutes till falling off the bone.
- 4De bone chicken saving all broth for later.
- 5Chop chicken into bite size pieces.
- 6Mix oil and flour together and set aside.
- 7Chop onion and saute in small amount of oil about a tsp till translucent.
- 8Add in oil and flour mixture stirring constantly for about 4 minutes till flour not raw.
- 9Add in Chicken broth about a cup at a time should have a nice sauce consistency. Add in the two cans of green chilis and the sour cream.
- 10Stir to combine.
- 11Season with Chili Sauce and Cumin.
- 12Set aside.
- 13Fry corn tortillas in small amount of oil and set aside,.
- 14Pour 1/2 on enchilada sauce into 12 x 9 large pyrex cooking dish.
- 15Lay tortilla flat put in small amount of cheese and chicken and roll.
- 16Place in pan seam side down.
- 17Repeat for all 14 tortillas.
- 18Cover with rest of sauce and sprinkle cheese on top.
- 19Cover with foil.
- 20Bake in 350 oven for 40 minutes.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Enchiladas With Sour Cream Green Chili Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (547 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1212.8
- Calories from Fat 726
- Total Fat 80.6 g
- Saturated Fat 26.6 g
- Cholesterol 259.2 mg
- Sodium 1093.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 71.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: