TexasToast R's Note:
I was looking for a chicken enchilada recipe that did not use canned cream soups. After finding one online, I made several changes to make the recipe a little healthier and easier to prepare. I often make with cheese made with 2 % milk to make them a little lighter too. Sometimes I also add pinto or black beans to replace half the chicken.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 corn tortillas
- 3 cooked boneless skinless chicken breast halves, shredded
- 3/4 cup minced onion
- 1 cup bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese or 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 2In a skillet, saute onions and bell peppers in a little olive oil until tender. Add shredded chicken (and beans, if desired), salsa and cumin and heat on low until warm. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 3Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and saute for about 2 minutes (keeping the heat medium low so as not to scorch the garlic). Add the flour and mix. Then slowly add the broth, cooking and stirring with a whisk for several minutes until thickened. Mix in the sour cream, yogurt and green chilies. Heat throroughly but do not boil, stirring occasionally.
- 4Grease a 9x13 pan with cooking spray. Then cover the bottom with about 1/2 cup of the garlic-cream sauce.
- 5Warm tortillas in microwave for a few seconds until they are soft and pliable. Divide chicken mixture among the 12 tortillas. Roll up each tortilla and place seam side down baking pan.
- 6Bake covered in pre-heated oven for 20 minutes or until heated through. Remove foil and top with cheese and green onions and bake for 5 minutes more. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro.
- 7Serve with tomatoes, chopped lettuce, salsa and extra sour cream, if desired.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Enchiladas With Creamy Green Chile Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (353 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 376.6
- Calories from Fat 135
- Total Fat 15.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.3 g
- Cholesterol 70.5 mg
- Sodium 600.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 25.9 g