Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I was looking for a chicken enchilada recipe that did not use canned cream soups. After finding one online, I made several changes to make the recipe a little healthier and easier to prepare. I often make with cheese made with 2 % milk to make them a little lighter too. Sometimes I also add pinto or black beans to replace half the chicken.
- 12 corn tortillas
- 3 cooked boneless skinless chicken breast halves, shredded
- 3⁄4 cup minced onion
- 1 cup bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup light sour cream
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese or 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a skillet, saute onions and bell peppers in a little olive oil until tender. Add shredded chicken (and beans, if desired), salsa and cumin and heat on low until warm. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and saute for about 2 minutes (keeping the heat medium low so as not to scorch the garlic). Add the flour and mix. Then slowly add the broth, cooking and stirring with a whisk for several minutes until thickened. Mix in the sour cream, yogurt and green chilies. Heat throroughly but do not boil, stirring occasionally.
- Grease a 9x13 pan with cooking spray. Then cover the bottom with about 1/2 cup of the garlic-cream sauce.
- Warm tortillas in microwave for a few seconds until they are soft and pliable. Divide chicken mixture among the 12 tortillas. Roll up each tortilla and place seam side down baking pan.
- Bake covered in pre-heated oven for 20 minutes or until heated through. Remove foil and top with cheese and green onions and bake for 5 minutes more. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro.
- Serve with tomatoes, chopped lettuce, salsa and extra sour cream, if desired.