A favorite from my Spanish instructor for our international luncheon. Use your pizza cutter to cut the cilantro.
- 4 cups cooked chicken, 1 rotisserie chicken
- 24 ounces salsa verde, DIVIDED
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded DIVIDED
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, DIVIDED chopped
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 16 six inch corn tortillas
- 1 onion, halved and sliced thin (optional)
- sour cream, to serve with
- guacamole, to serve with
- Shred chicken.
- Mix chicken with 3/4 cups salsa verde, 1 1/2 cups cheese, 1/4 cup cilantro, salt, and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spread 1 cup salsa over bottom of a 9 X 13 inch baking dish.
- Microwave tortillas on high in MICROWAVE SAFE plastic bag until warm, about 45 seconds. (So they are easier to roll.).
- Working one at a time, spoon about 1/4 cup chicken filling onto a tortilla-roll into a cylinder and place, seam side down, in baking dish.
- Drizzle enchiladas with 1 1/2 cups of salsa, sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Lightly spray sheet of foil with cooking spray, cover dish and bake until heated through, about 30 minutes.
- Remove foil-sprinkle with onion and remaining cilantro-let stand a few minutes.
- Serve with remaining salsa, sour cream, and guacamole.
- Note about freezing: Make up filling through step 2, freeze, defrost in fridge 24 hours before, and proceed with remaining part of recipe.
Simple, yet delicious!
This made an outstanding dinner in a flash. I love the convenience of a rotisserie chicken and this is another recipe that I'll save for future use. The cilantro in the fridge was past it's prime so it was discarded. The dish was baked uncovered and produced a light, golden crust. Made for Aussie Swap.