A favorite from my Spanish instructor for our international luncheon. Use your pizza cutter to cut the cilantro.
- 4 cups cooked chicken, 1 rotisserie chicken
- 24 ounces salsa verde, DIVIDED
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded DIVIDED
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, DIVIDED chopped
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 16 six inch corn tortillas
- 1 onion, halved and sliced thin (optional)
- sour cream, to serve with
- guacamole, to serve with
- Shred chicken.
- Mix chicken with 3/4 cups salsa verde, 1 1/2 cups cheese, 1/4 cup cilantro, salt, and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spread 1 cup salsa over bottom of a 9 X 13 inch baking dish.
- Microwave tortillas on high in MICROWAVE SAFE plastic bag until warm, about 45 seconds. (So they are easier to roll.).
- Working one at a time, spoon about 1/4 cup chicken filling onto a tortilla-roll into a cylinder and place, seam side down, in baking dish.
- Drizzle enchiladas with 1 1/2 cups of salsa, sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Lightly spray sheet of foil with cooking spray, cover dish and bake until heated through, about 30 minutes.
- Remove foil-sprinkle with onion and remaining cilantro-let stand a few minutes.
- Serve with remaining salsa, sour cream, and guacamole.
- Note about freezing: Make up filling through step 2, freeze, defrost in fridge 24 hours before, and proceed with remaining part of recipe.