1 hr 30 mins
minnie chef's Note:
My moms chicken enchiladas with green chile and sour cream sauce. It takes time to shred the chicken, but other than that this is pretty easy to make. Can make ahead of time and store in fridge till ready to go in the oven. Once you remove the chicken from the water, you put the skin and bones back and continue to boil it to make soup stalk. Also, use canned or fresh (cooked) green chile. Note- this is an anglicized recipe, but it's a great casserole- I've always preferred this to any ordinary chicken casserole.
My Private Note
large e ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1You will need: One 9x13 inch pan.
- 2Place chicken, half of the onion, and garlic (optional) in a large pot and just cover with water. Simmer on low heat for one hour or until done. When the Chicken is done, set it aside to cool.
- 3Finely dice second half of Onion and place in a Large Bowl with the 1/2 cup Green Chile, set aside. (If you dislike finding small crunchy bits of onion in you food you may want to Saute them first.).
- 4In a Medium Bowl, mix 1 can of Enchilada Sauce with 1 cup of sour cream.
- 5Remove skin and bones from the (cooled) chicken. By hand, shred the chicken into small pieces and add to the Large Bowl with the diced onions and chile.
- 6Add 1 cup of shredded cheese. Stir to combine.
- 7Pour about 1 cup of the Sauce and Sour Cream mixture over the Chicken and stir till the chicken, onion, chile, and cheese mixture just holds together. You may a little more sauce if necessary.
- 8Set out your 9x13 inch pan, the Chicken Mixture, and 8 Tortillas in front of you.
- 9Spoon a couple of spoonfuls of the Chicken onto a Tortilla. Make a log-shape just off-center of the tortilla. Tuck in the short sides on each end of the log. Hold them in place as you roll the tortilla tightly over the filling.
- 10Place in the corner of the pan, so it's side and bottom are touching the pan.
- 11Continue to roll enchiladas and place them snugly in the pan. There should be six in a row. You should have space for two more enchiladas to go on top of the finished row.
- 12Pour remaining enchilada Sauce evenly over the Enchiladas. Make sure they are all coated. Grate a cup or two of Cheddar over the Enchiladas.
- 13Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Enchiladas Verdes
Serving Size: 1 (124 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 496.1
- Calories from Fat 227
- Total Fat 25.3 g
- Saturated Fat 12.1 g
- Cholesterol 65.5 mg
- Sodium 806.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 22.4 g