1/1 Photo of Chicken Enchiladas Verdes
1 hr 5 mins
My favorite way to make enchiladas...creamy, mild and delicious. Fire lovers can add hot sauce to the finished product.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 chicken breast halves
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 carrot, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 parsley sprigs
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 9 small tortillas
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bunch spinach, chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3 green onions, sliced thin
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, drained
- 3/4 lb monterey jack cheese, grated
- sour cream
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1FOR FILLING:.
- 2Place chicken and broth in large saucepan.
- 3Add carrot, onion, garlic, parsley and bay leaf. Bring to boil.
- 4Cover and simmer 5 minutes at very low heat.
- 5Turn off heat and let stand until chicken is cooked through, about 40 minutes.
- 6Remove chicken from broth and cool slightly.
- 7Strain cooking liquid.
- 8Return to saucepan and boil until reduced to 1 1/2 cups.
- 9Skin and bone chicken; shred meat and place in medium bowl. Chill.
- 10FOR SAUCE:.
- 11Melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over low heat.
- 12Add flour and cook until light brown, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
- 13Whisk in reserved chicken cooking liquid, increase heat to medium and cook until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally.
- 14Add spinach and stir until wilted, about 2 minutes.
- 15Transfer to processor.
- 16Add sauce, sour cream, onions, cilantro and can of chilies. Puree until smooth.
- 17Season with salt and pepper.
- 18Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 19Butter a 9x13 baking dish.
- 20Spread 1/2 cup sauce over the bottom.
- 21Add 1/2 cup sauce to cooked, chilled chicken, then mix in 2 1/2 cups grated cheese.
- 22Pour 5 tablespoons oil into heavy medium skillet, heating over medium-low heat.
- 23Add 1 tortilla and cook until softened, about 5 seconds.
- 24Drain and repeat with rest of tortillas.
- 25Divide chicken filling among tortillas and roll up, arranging seam side down in prepared dish.
- 26Bake enchiladas about 10-15 minutes. Add remaining cheese on top and bake 5 minutes more.
- 27Serve with more sour cream and a sprinkling of cilantro.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Enchiladas Verdes
Serving Size: 1 (477 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 817.5
- Calories from Fat 480
- Total Fat 53.4 g
- Saturated Fat 22.9 g
- Cholesterol 109.4 mg
- Sodium 1270.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 36.1 g