Recipe by ChrissyG1968
I found this recipe on the internet when I wanted to try making Chicken Enchiladas. I liked the idea of a cream based sauce rather than a tomato based sauce. The filling is so incredible that you can eat it cold right out of the bowl. My family loved it and I make this all the time now.
Top Review by jessann82
Oh My Goodness! These were delishious!!! I have another recipee but it has tons of ingredients and costs a ton. This was easy, SO tasty, easy, filling... the kids loved it and so did my DH.I was sceptical about the mixture of cream and broth.. but it made a PERFECT sauce. I ended up with two pans in one oven so i did put in one at a time in broiler for 2 minutes to brown up the tops nice since they were sharing. But except for that followed to the word!
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 8 ounces grated cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces canned diced green chiles
- 1 cup purchased green chile salsa
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- salt and black pepper
- 12 large flour tortillas
- 10 ounces monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- chopped avocado
- chopped tomato
- chopped fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chicken in pan of boiling water to cover, and simmer 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat, drain, cool, and shred chicken.
- In skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Cook onion and bell peppers until just soft, 5-8 minutes.
- Transfer to large bowl.
- Add chicken, cheddar cheese, green chiles, salsa, cilantro, and cumin. Season with salt and pepper to taste and mix well.
- Note: you can do this much a day ahead and store in the fridge. It's pretty tasty just as is without the rest of the recipe, but since you're making a special dinner, read on.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 10x15x2-inch baking pan or 2 smaller pans.
- Place 1 flour tortilla on flat surface and place about 1/3 cup chicken mixture along 1 edge.
- Roll up from filling side, and place, seam side down, in prepared pan. Repeat process with remaining chicken mixture.
- Sprinkle Monterey Jack over enchiladas.
- Combine cream and chicken broth and pour over enchiladas.
- Cover pan with foil and bake 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue baking 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Garnish individual servings with avocado, tomato and cilantro, if desired.