Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
I found this recipe on the internet when I wanted to try making Chicken Enchiladas. I liked the idea of a cream based sauce rather than a tomato based sauce. The filling is so incredible that you can eat it cold right out of the bowl. My family loved it and I make this all the time now.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 8 ounces grated cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces canned diced green chiles
- 1 cup purchased green chile salsa
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- salt and black pepper
- 12 large flour tortillas
- 10 ounces monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- chopped avocado
- chopped tomato
- chopped fresh cilantro
- Place chicken in pan of boiling water to cover, and simmer 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat, drain, cool, and shred chicken.
- In skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Cook onion and bell peppers until just soft, 5-8 minutes.
- Transfer to large bowl.
- Add chicken, cheddar cheese, green chiles, salsa, cilantro, and cumin. Season with salt and pepper to taste and mix well.
- Note: you can do this much a day ahead and store in the fridge. It's pretty tasty just as is without the rest of the recipe, but since you're making a special dinner, read on.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 10x15x2-inch baking pan or 2 smaller pans.
- Place 1 flour tortilla on flat surface and place about 1/3 cup chicken mixture along 1 edge.
- Roll up from filling side, and place, seam side down, in prepared pan. Repeat process with remaining chicken mixture.
- Sprinkle Monterey Jack over enchiladas.
- Combine cream and chicken broth and pour over enchiladas.
- Cover pan with foil and bake 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue baking 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Garnish individual servings with avocado, tomato and cilantro, if desired.
Oh My Goodness! These were delishious!!! I have another recipee but it has tons of ingredients and costs a ton. This was easy, SO tasty, easy, filling... the kids loved it and so did my DH.I was sceptical about the mixture of cream and broth.. but it made a PERFECT sauce. I ended up with two pans in one oven so i did put in one at a time in broiler for 2 minutes to brown up the tops nice since they were sharing. But except for that followed to the word!
This is an authentic and awesome casserole! Keep this recipe handy for spare of the moment guest...they will be impressed!