1/2 Photos of Chicken Enchiladas Suiza
A super easy chicken enchilada recipe that my whole family devours. I poach the chicken in chicken broth, then use the broth in the sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, cooked and chilled
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 pint sour cream
- 12 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 cups chicken broth (divided)
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth (divided)
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel tomatoes & chilies
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9 x 13 baking dish by spraying with non-stick coking spray.
- 2Chop the cooked chicken into small bite-size pieces.
- 3Combine chicken, cheese and sour cream until well blended.
- 4Scoop about 1/4 cup chicken mixture into the center of each tortilla. Roll the tortillas into a cigar-shape, enclosing the chicken filling. Lay close together in the baking dish, seam side down.
- 5Saute the minced onion and garlic in the oil over medium heat. When the garlic is fragrant and the onion has softened add 2 cups chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- 6Add the can of rotel, with all of the juice. While the mixture returns to the boil combine the cornstarch with the remaining chicken broth, mix well then stir into rotel mixture. Simmer for a couple of minutes to cook out the raw cornstarch and thicken the mixture.
- 7Spoon the hot sauce over the rolled tortillas making sure to cover all of the tortillas (don't leave any dry spots or they may burn).
- 8Place the pan in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the sauce is bubbly and the tortillas are hot throughout.
- 9Feel free to adjust the seasoning in the chicken mixture and/or the sauce to your taste. I like to use the rotel tomatoes with cilantro and lime. Sometimes I saute sliced, fresh jalapenos or serranos with the onion when making the sauce, etc. Depends on my mood when I make it. The cheese and sour cream usually make the filling salty enough for me, but I often add cayenne or chili powder and black pepper if I want a bit of bite. Sometimes I use pepper-jack cheese for all or part of the cheese in the filling.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Enchiladas Suiza
Serving Size: 1 (464 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 721.9
- Calories from Fat 412
- Total Fat 45.7 g
- Saturated Fat 21.4 g
- Cholesterol 176.2 mg
- Sodium 866.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 47.5 g