A fresh offering of this popular dish which I've slightly adapted to shorten the prep time and allow for it to be made ahead. Makes a beautiful presentation!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced (or diced if you prefer smaller pieces of onion)
- 10 ounces precooked chicken breasts, chopped into bite-size pieces (southwestern flavor, if available)
- 1/2 cup roasted red pepper, diced
- 2 (3 ounce) packages cream cheese, cubed
- 4 (4 1/2 ounce) cans diced green chilies, drained
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 7 (7 inch) flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add onions and cook 20 minutes or until tender. Reduce heat to low; add chopped chicken, roasted pepper, and cream cheese. Stir until combined; set aside.
- 2Pulse chiles and next 5 ingredients in blender or food processor several times until combined.
- 3Bring chile mixture and chicken broth to a boil in a saucepan over high heat; cook 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. (Mixture should be the consistency of a thin gravy.) Remove from heat and stir in salsa.
- 4Spread one half of the chile mixture on bottom of a lightly greased 13x9 baking dish.
- 5Spoon chicken mixture evenly down center of each tortilla; roll up and place, seam side down, in prepared baking dish. Top with remaining chile mixture, spreading to coat. Sprinkle with cheese.
- 6Bake at 375 for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Enchiladas (From Southern Living)
Serving Size: 1 (348 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 7
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 516.3
- Calories from Fat 275
- Total Fat 30.6 g
- Saturated Fat 16.3 g
- Cholesterol 95.2 mg
- Sodium 1941.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 25.1 g