Recipe by Shanie Searing
I love this recipe you can use chicken or substitute beef. Its great either way! To save myself time on making chicken I buy the pre-seasoned shredded chicken or seasoned ground beef. If I don't buy premade stuff, i always season my meat.
Top Review by Imagenie
Excellent recipe. I made as stated, except left out the salt, didn't have green onions, so I sauted a 1/2 cup of reg. onions, and left out the cilantro (don't care for it), and it was delicious. I used leftover chicken from Kittencals-Best-Blasted-Rapid-Roast-Whole-Chicken. There's just the two of us, but I made the whole recipe, we ate four and I froze the rest for when I have "the boys" over for dinner. DH's 2 friends that can reallllllllly eat. I'm sure they will love it.
Enchilada Sauce (makes 3 cups)
- 2 tablespoons corn oil or 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1⁄2 cup thinly-sliced green onion
- 3⁄4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 (4 ounce) candice green chilies
- corn oil or canola oil, as needed
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- 12 corn tortillas
- nonstick cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Enchilada sauce directions:.
- Heat corn or canola oil in large sauce pan; stir in flour and chil powder; cook for 1 minute.
- Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare enchilada sauce below.
- In a medium bowl, mix chicken, green onions, 1/2 cup cheddar, 1/2 cup monterey jack, sour cream, chiles, and cilantro.
- Stir in 1/2 cup enchilada sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper, set aside, heat 1/2 inch corn or canola oil in large pan.
- Fry tortillas, one at a time until soft (10 seconds per side).
- Drain on paper towels, spray 9"x 13" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Spread small amount of sauce in bottom of dish.
- Spread 2 heaping tablespoons of chicken mixture in each tortilla& roll up.
- Place seam side down, side by side in prepared dish.
- Pour remaining sauce over, top with remaining cheeses and bake until bubbling, 15-20 minutes.
- Garnish with extra sour cream, sliced green onions and chipped cilantro.