Recipe by Mary in LA.
It's easier to make these enchiladas at home and cheaper.
Top Review by mianbao
These are very good! I appreciate the fact that the recipe includes one for the sauce, which is not available where I live. I roasted the chicken and made the sauce one day, and then made the enchiladas two days later. I used 5 whole fresh green, not very hot chilies, and will increase the number to 8 next time. I did soften the corn tortillas in hot oil, which seemed a little tricky, but not so terribly so. I only had 10 tortillas, so probably overstuffed my enchiladas. I am enjoying them very much. Thank you very much for sharing this recipe with us.
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups enchilada sauce
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 3⁄4 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 3⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- salt and pepper, if desired
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 1 can of non stick cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- To make enchilada sauce: Heat canola oil in saucepan, stir in flour and chili powder and cook for 1 minute.
- Add cumin, chicken broth,tomato sauce,salt and garlic powder, bring to a boil and then simmer for 10 minutes.
- It makes 3 cups To make enchilada's: Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In bowl mix chicken, green onions, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese,1/2 cup monterey jack chesse, sour cream, chiles and cilantro.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Set aside.
- Heat 1/2 inch of canola oil in pan.
- Fry torillas, one at a time, until soft (10 seconds pre side).
- Drain on paper towels.
- Spray 9 inch x 13 inch baking dish with no stick cooking spray, spread small amount of sauce in bottom of dish.
- Spread 2 heaping tablespoons of chicken mixture in each tortilla and roll up.
- Place seam down, side by side in prepared dish.
- Pour remaining sauce over, top with remaining cheeses and bake until bubbling.
- 15 to 20 minutes.
- Garnish with extra sour cream, sliced green onion and chopped cilantro.