Amy - Ellie's Mommie's Note:
This recipe was inspired by bdyashana's Special Ingredient Chicken Enchiladas #61634. I made so many alterations to her recipe, I thought I should just post a new one! But the cinnamon is her idea, and boy is it a good one! Also, poaching the chicken in a flavored broth is from her recipe. I couldn't waste all that broth, so I decided to cook it down and use it! Since so many chicken enchilada recipes call for cream soup, I thought I'd make it creamy with the milk/flour slurry. Turned out awesome!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 3 cups sodium-free chicken broth or 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 bunch cilantro (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 cloves garlic, whole
- 1 small onion, halved
- green hot pepper sauce, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
- 1 bay leaf, dried
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 8 flour tortillas or 8 corn tortillas
- 1 (17 1/4 ounce) jar enchilada sauce (I use Pace) or 1 1/4 cups homemade enchilada sauce
- 16 ounces shredded cheese (cheddar and monterey jack are good, but any combination you like will work)
- 1Bring chicken broth to a boil.
- 2Add lime juice, halved onion, garlic cloves, cilantro, bay leaf, cinnamon, and hot pepper sauce.
- 3Add chicken breast.
- 4Boil for 10-15 minutes at medium heat, or until chicken is no longer pink.
- 5Remove chicken from broth and set aside to cool.
- 6Turn heat up on chicken broth and allow to reduce until one cup remains (about 20 minutes).
- 7While chicken broth is reducing, shred chicken breasts into a bowl and set aside.
- 8Remove cilantro and bay leaf from broth and discard.
- 9Remove onion and garlic from broth and cool until you can handle them.
- 10Chop finely and add to chicken.
- 11Mix flour into milk and add slurry to chicken broth, whisking constantly.
- 12Cook for a few minutes until thick and bubbly.
- 13Pour over chicken and onion mixture.
- 14Add 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce.
- 15Add 1/4 cup of shredded cheese.
- 16Allow to cool.
- 17While chicken mixture is cooling, heat enchilada sauce and add 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon.
- 18Simmer for a few minutes, enough to heat through and for the cinnamon to blend in well.
- 19Microwave flour tortillas for 1 minute (or less, depending on your microwave) until just warmed.
- 20Remove enchilada sauce from heat.
- 21Place all 8 tortillas on your counter.
- 22Fill all 8 tortillas at the same time (this is to make sure each one gets the same amount of filling).
- 23Roll tortillas and place into a greased 9x13 pan.
- 24Top with enchilada sauce and cheese.
- 25Bake at 350 degrees Farenheit for 20- 30 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.
- 26Serve with sour cream to top.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Enchiladas
Serving Size: 1 (468 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 767.7
- Calories from Fat 325
- Total Fat 36.2 g
- Saturated Fat 19.2 g
- Cholesterol 139.9 mg
- Sodium 2370.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 55.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sodium-free chicken broth