This is my favorite Chicken Enchiladas recipe. I get requests for this recipe all the time. It's a bit lower in fat because you're not dipping the tortillas in hot oil. This recipe is from Betty Crocker's Chicken Cookbook.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 12 6-inch corn tortillas
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese or 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- Cook and stir onion and garlic in oil in a 2-quart saucepan until onion is tender.
- Stir in broth, chili powder, oregano, cumin, salt and tomato sauce.
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat, simmer uncovered 10 minutes.
- Dip each tortilla into sauce to coat both sides.
- Spoon 1/4 cup of the chicken onto each tortilla; roll tortilla around chicken.
- Place seam sides down in an ungreased rectangular baking dish, 13x9x2 inches.
- Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas; sprinkle with cheese.
- Cook uncovered in 350° oven until cheese is melted, 10-12 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream and, if desired, shredded lettuce.
- Do-ahead Note: After placing enchiladas in baking dish, sprinkle with cheese (do not pour remaining sauce over enchiladas); cover and refrigerate no longer than 24 hours.
- To serve, pour remaining sauce over enchiladas; cook uncovered in 350° oven until hot and bubbly 20-30 minutes.
These are so good, and so simple to make! I'm impressed! The sauce goes together in no time at all, and is delicious--I used almost 2 tbsp chili powder--next time, I think I'll throw in a little red pepper for a bit of heat. I poached one whole boneless breast with some crushed garlic cloves (4) then cooled and shredded it. These go together so fast, but it seems like something that would take more time. At least that's what everyone that eats them will think. Great dish, we served it with Authentic Mexican Rice, #45711, good combo. Thanks Hey Jude, awesome enchiladas!
My whole family really enjoyed this recipe -especially the homemade sauce. What appealed to me at first was the smaller serving size (for small family), but I was wishing I had doubled the recipe as eveyone wanted more. What will make me return to this recipe again and again is the wonderful sauce - it was ready in a flash and so full of flavor. Delicious!
This enchilada sauce is so easy and tastes great. I mixed a little of the sauce in with the chicken to moisten it before rolling the enchiladas. I also added a bit of the cheese into each enchilada before rolling. Very good!