1/2 Photos of Chicken Enchiladas
This recipe has a spicy, smoky kick and I love it! I reduced the fat and increased the flavor. Don't let the "make your own sauce" thing scare you. It's not hard and it's worth the effort.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup masa harina flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 medium sweet onion
- 3 roma tomatoes
- 1/2 cup fat free sour cream
- 3 cups lettuce, shredded
- 1You can cook the sauce on the stove or in the microwave. I used the microwave. So --
- 2In a 4-cup microwave safe bowl, add 1.5 cup water and tomato paste. Stir to mix together.
- 3Add chili powder, paprika, garlic, cumin and sugar. Cook on high about 4 minutes.
- 4While the sauce is beginning to heat, mix together 1/4 cup cold water and 1/4 cup masa to make a paste.
- 5Take the sauce out and stir in the masa/water paste. Return to microwave and cook 4 more minutes. When it is done it should be nice and thick and AWESOME smelling.
- 6Slice the onion VERY thin (I use a mandolin).
- 7Shred the chicken (if you haven't). Easiest way is to take two forks and use them to pull the chicken apart.
- 8Mix about half the sauce in with the chicken and the onion.
- 9Prepare the tortillas by warming them. I like to put them in the microwaves with a SLIGHTLY damp paper towel over them and heat for about 30 seconds. Take one tortilla at a time off of the stack and then cover the stack so they don't dry out.
- 10Place 1/8 of the chicken mixture on the edge of the tortilla and roll. Do not overfill. Less is more.
- 11Place the enchilada seam side down into the pan.
- 12When all 8 are ready, pour the remaining of the sauce over the enchiladas and bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees.
- 13Sprinkle half of the cheese over the enchiladas, return to the oven for another 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- 14Serve with lettuce, tomatoes, the remainder of the cheese, and the sour cream.
- 15You could also add peppers, olives, maybe even beans to the chicken mixture. You could use extra lean ground beef rather than chicken, or ground turkey. You could add extra garnishes like olives, green onions, etc. I might try them with a black bean mixture with some lean ground beef next time.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Enchiladas
Serving Size: 1 (478 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 493.9
- Calories from Fat 146
- Total Fat 16.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 108.0 mg
- Sodium 844.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.8 g
- Sugars 11.5 g
- Protein 41.2 g