Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Amazing sauce! You will never go back to canned after trying this one. For this enchilada recipe you can assemble by either filling and folding over your corn tortillas or just layer like a lasagna.
- 118.29 ml butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 78.07 ml flour
- 473.18 ml beef stock
- 425.24 g can tomato sauce (Use one with Italian Herbs if you can find it.)
- 29.58 ml chili powder
- 9.85 ml cumin
- 9.85 ml rubbed sage
- 2.46 ml salt
- 946.36 ml shredded cooked chicken breasts (I roast bone-in breasts)
- 12 corn tortillas
- 453.59 g monterey jack cheese, grated
- Sauté garlic in butter until tender.
- Stir in flour until well-blended, gradually stir in broth and bring to a boil.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until bubbly.
- Add tomato sauce and seasonings and heat through.
- Add about 1/2 c sauce to shredded chicken. -Just enough to moisten chicken. I usually roast chicken with onion. I add in to mixture too.
- Pour 1 c sauce in bottom of 9x13.
- Fill each tortilla with a bit of chicken and cheese, fold over and place seam side down. -Mine always break when filling. It's ok. Continue until pan full of snuggled up enchiladas.
- Top with remaining sauce, cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake uncovered another 15 minutes.