1/1 Photo of Chicken Enchiladas
Amazing sauce! You will never go back to canned after trying this one. For this enchilada recipe you can assemble by either filling and folding over your corn tortillas or just layer like a lasagna.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce (Use one with Italian Herbs if you can find it.)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken breasts (I roast bone-in breasts)
- 12 corn tortillas
- 16 ounces monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1Sauté garlic in butter until tender.
- 2Stir in flour until well-blended, gradually stir in broth and bring to a boil.
- 3Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until bubbly.
- 4Add tomato sauce and seasonings and heat through.
- 5Add about 1/2 c sauce to shredded chicken. -Just enough to moisten chicken. I usually roast chicken with onion. I add in to mixture too.
- 6Pour 1 c sauce in bottom of 9x13.
- 7Fill each tortilla with a bit of chicken and cheese, fold over and place seam side down. -Mine always break when filling. It's ok. Continue until pan full of snuggled up enchiladas.
- 8Top with remaining sauce, cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.
- 9Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake uncovered another 15 minutes.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Enchiladas
Serving Size: 1 (404 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 783.9
- Calories from Fat 442
- Total Fat 49.2 g
- Saturated Fat 27.4 g
- Cholesterol 190.5 mg
- Sodium 1564.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 53.5 g