Recipe by carrey
This is the first recipe I've ever posted! The idea was developed after tweaking several other enchilada recipes and using what I had in the pantry. The end result was pretty spectacular if I do say so myself! If you wish, you can add toppings to your cooked enchiladas such as sour cream or salsa.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breasts or 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken tenderloins, poached and shredded
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies, such as Rotel
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon Mexican chili powder
- 10 whole wheat tortillas
- 1 (28 ounce) can green enchilada sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) package shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Saute onions over medium heat until softened (if preferred, use a small amount of EVOO).
- Drain can of diced tomatoes with chiles and pour in with onions.
- Drain and rinse can of black beans. Pour in with onions and tomatoes.
- Put shredded chicken in a bowl and season with cumin and Mexican chili powder. Then, add to onion, tomatoes, and beans.
- Pour a small amount of green chili enchilada sauce into mixture to moisten. Pour a small amount of sauce into bottom of glass baking dish.
- Heat tortillas (5 at a time) between two wet paper towels in microwave. Then, spoon small amount of mixture into tortilla. Add a sprinkle of cheese and roll tortilla. Place seam-side down in baking dish. Continue filling all tortillas in this manner. Rolls should be pretty tight in dish.
- Pour remaining enchilada sauce on top of tortillas. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Bake in oven until cheese is melted (approximately 15-20 minutes).