Prep 2 hrs
Cook 45 mins
This is a great weekend recipe. I start it in the morning, assemble and bake when ready to have dinner.
- 1 roasting chicken (Whole or Cut up)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped (or more!)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream or 2⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 dozen fajita-size flour tortilla
- 1⁄4 cup tortilla chips, crushed (optional)
- Sautee onion, fresh peppers and garlic.
- When translucent and fragrant add chicken and the spices.
- Add enough water just to cover.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for approximately 45 minutes.
- Remove chicken from mixture and allow to cool, keep liquid at a simmer.
- When chicken is cool remove from bones and return to simmering mixture.
- Simmer and reduce liquid, this can take some time-- it increased flavor but, is not necessary.
- If liquid is not reduced remove chicken from broth (can be reserved for great soup).
- Add crush tortilla chips to absorb additional liquid and add flavor.
- While chicken is simmering, combine soup, green chilies, mayonnaise or sour cream and cheese.
- Place 1/2 of soup mixture in the bottom of a 13x9 inches baking dish.
- Place about 1/4 cup of chicken mixture in the center of each tortilla.
- Roll up cigar fashion, and place, seam side down, in baking dish (make sure there is a layer of sauce between enchilada and pan to prevent sticking).
- Spread remaining soup mixture over top.
- Bake at 375°F for 35 to 45 minutes or until bubbly and brown on top.
we really liked the flavor of the chicken filling, I will definately make it again... But i would not use as much cheese. I also had a bit of difficulty with the recipe because the ingreedients called for sour cream and the directions called for Mayo. Also the directions did not tell you when and where to put the spices. So I added them both to the filling and the sauce. seemed to work out just fine.
Made this for the family. Everyone loved it!!! Creamy....I used cream of chicken soup instead of cream of mushroom soup. This recipe is one we will use over and over.