Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
I received this recipe from a friend as part of a wedding gift. I never tried it until recently, and my husband and I LOVED it! I've made it a couple times since, and he's always happy to take the left-overs to work the next day. I use the 10 pack of small tortillas for this recipe.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cut chicken into chunks and cook in butter until done.
- Add onions and more butter if necessary.
- Saute until onions are tender.
- Add chili powder.
- In a seperate bowl, mix the sour cream and soup.
- Add half of mixture to the chicken and onions.
- Spoon SOME of the sour cream mixture into a 9 x 13 pan, coating the bottom (I use a glass dish and it works just as well as a metal pan).
- Spoon chicken mixture into tortillas and roll.
- Place tortillas in the baking pan, seam side down.
- Spread the rest of the cream mixture over the tortillas and sprinkle with cheese on top.
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.
- Serve hot.
- If there's any left over sour cream or sour cream mixture, serve it as well!
Denise, This recipe makes a wonderful casserole.I made this back in August when you first posted it,then lost my recipe,so I looked it up again so I could make it again. love this recipe,I made NO changes,it was great as is. Thanks,Darlene Summers
Feeding a multi generational family that includes 5 adults & 2 kids is quite a challenge. The kids don't like anything and the adults all have varying tastes. However ALL 5 adults LOVED this recipe. The only change I made was to add a little hot mexican cheese to the mix. Delicous.
I was on the hunt for a cream based enchilada from years past that I loved. I came across this one since it was very similar. I made some changes such as I doubled the cream of chicken soup and sour cream. I also added 2 cans of green chili's rather then using the chilli powder. It added great texture and great flavor. Rather then cooking the chicken in butter I used cooking spray. I used 98% fat free cream of chicken soup, lite sour cream and Weight Watcher shredded cheddar cheese. Rather then using the basic flour tortillas I used corn tortillas. This added a little flavor and texture. I recommend heating the corn tortilla in the microwave to 10 seconds prior to putting the mixture in to help roll it so the corn tortilla doesn't tear after being placed in the baking dish. Thank you for posting this recipe, though I made some modifications based off the recipe of olden days, it is still fabulous as is!! This is now one of our favorite recipes!