Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe can be changed up as you go...a little more of this a little less of that, it always seems to be a winner. Don't let the directions intimidate you it's not hard and it's certainly worth the effort! This dish can also be made ahead and refrigerated for up to a day, just be sure to adjust the cooking time to 1-1/2 hrs at 325 degrees.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 ounces green chilies
- optional jalapeno, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2-1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese, plus additional
- Mexican blend cheese, for topping
- 1 cup mexican flavored sour cream dip
- flour tortilla
- Fill pot with water and any mexican style seasonings you would like.
- Add chicken and bring to boil -cook until the juices run clear.
- RESERVE THE BROTH.
- Allow chicken to cool until it is no longer unbearable to handle - and shred into a bowl.
- Add onion, chiles, and jalepenos and set aside.
- In a small dish combine flour, corriander and salt.
- In a skillet over medium-low heat, melt butter, add flour mixture and stir to form a roux.
- Add approximately 2-3 cups of the reserved broth to make a sauce.
- Boil a few minutes until thickened, then add cheese and sour cream dip.
- Stir until smoothand remove from heat.
- Add about 1/2-1 cup sauce to the chicken mixture.
- Pour enough sauce into a 9x13 baking dish to just cover the bottom.
- Fill each tortilla with some chicken mixture, roll and place in dish seam side down.
- Cover enchiladas with remaining sauce and top with more cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes covered, then cook uncovered for an additional 15 minutes or until browned on top.