Recipe by Nanners
These are a favorite of mine and my family - a fresh tasting medium spicy enchilada. I often double (or even triple) the recipe when I need to bring a meal to a friend. Originally from Southern Living magazine. I like to use the salty, juicy breast meat of a rotisserie chicken. To make them milder, use plain Monterrey Jack cheese, to make them divine, use Chipotle Jack...yummmmm! I often make them in the morning, place in the fridge then pop in the oven when company gets here.
Top Review by sharon214
This was great! My husband really liked it and wanted to know if it was easy to make, which means he will like to have it frequently. It was and was also just delicious. I threw about 3 good size boneless ,skinless frozen breasts in the crock pot for about 4 and 1/2 hours( also 1/2 C. water) and they were nice and moist and shredded easily. I did use the pepper jack cheese, yummmm. That was my only change. We had mexican rice with it for a perfect compliment. Thanks for sharing, I will make this over and over again.
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken (I like to use rotisserie chicken breast)
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) canchopped green chilies, drained
- 1⁄3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 8 flour tortillas (8 inch size)
For the Sauce
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 8 ounces green tomatillo sauce
- sliced black olives
- chopped tomato
- shredded lettuce
- sliced avocado
- sliced green onion
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir together chicken, cheese, 1/2°C sour cream, chiles, and cilantro.
- Spoon mixture down center of each tortilla and roll up, keeping the ends tucked inches Place seem side down in lightly greased 9x13 dish.
- Coat the tops of enchiladas with cooking spray.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes at 350 - tops should be crisp and lightly browned. (if they've been in the fridge for a couple hours, they may take 45 minutes to bake).
- Stir together sauce ingredients.
- Once you remove enchiladas from oven, immediately spoon the sauce over the tops and garnish with olives, tomatoes, green onions, lettuce and avocado.