Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
I wanted something easy to make that used ingredients I usually have around the house. Most of this is "estimates" because who really measures out everything they put in something when they "throw it together" :-)
- 1⁄2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon oil (I use Canola)
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (7 ounce) canverde salsa (I use Herdez brand)
- 8 corn (I use South Beach Diet Wheat ones) or 8 wheat flour tortillas (I use South Beach Diet Wheat ones)
- 1 (28 ounce) can green enchilada sauce (I use Las Palmas brand)
- 1 (4 ounce) candiced jalapeno peppers (I use Ortega)
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 large tomatoes, diced
- 4 green onions, diced
- 4 tablespoons cilantro
- sour cream
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
- Warm oil in large non-stick skillet.
- Place onions in hot oil and Sauté until translucent.
- Put chicken breasts, Verde Hot Sauce, Diced Jalapeno Peppers, and just enough Green Enchilada Sauce to make it a little wet (about 2-3 TBSP) in skillet with onions.
- Bring to boil.
- Lower heat to a simmer and cover skillet.
- Cook until chicken is done, add more enchilada sauce if it starts to dry out.
- When chicken is done take it out of the sauce and shred it with two forks.
- Put shredded chicken back into sauce and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Mix in 1/4 cup sour cream & remove from heat.
- If your mixture is to wet let it simmer un-covered until itï¿½s only slightly moist.
- Put a thin layer of enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9"x13" baking pan.
- Fill tortillas with chicken mixture and place them into the 9"x13" baking dish.
- Pour the rest of the enchilada sauce over the enchiladas.
- Sprinkle all of cheese over enchiladas.
- Bake in 350 degree oven until cheese is melted and enchiladas are warmed through (usually around 25 minutes).
- Serve by sprinkling chopped tomatoes, cilantro, and green onions over enchiladas and putting a small dab of sour cream on top!