Recipe by Christine Bettiga
Very spicy Southern Colorado Mexican Dish! One of my favorites.
Top Review by Ultimate Food Junkie
I made these last night with your green chili recipe. I was planning on following recipe as is, but DH got called to work early (midnights) and was rushed to feed him. So, didn't put tortillas in oil, and forgot to put broth in with chicken! Still turned out wonderful! Easy to do and so tasty! I will be making these often, but not leaving out any steps next time!
- 1 medium chicken
- 1 dozen corn tortilla
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- green chili sauce or red chili sauce (see recipes for green chili or red chili sauce)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring salted water to a boil in large kettle.
- Add Chicken and boil for 1 hour.
- Turn off heat and let sit for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove Chicken to a platter or bowl to cool.
- Once Chicken is cool, shred all meat into a bowl.
- Add 1/4 cup of broth to the bowl.
- Salt and Pepper the chicken.
- Place in refrigerator if you are not going to use immediately.
- Place the oil into a small skillet and heat on high.
- Once oil is hot add one corn tortilla, flip it over with a fork.
- Place tortilla on a paper towell to remove oil.
- Continue till all of the tortillas are cooked.
- Grease your baking pan and set aside.
- Place one cup of your chili sauce onto a plate.
- Cover both sides of tortilla with chili sauce.
- Stuff tortilla's with chicken mixture and roll up.
- Place them into your baking pan.
- After all of the chicken stuffed tortillas are in the pan, smother with chili sauce till all tortillas are covered.
- Add cheese and onion on top of the mixture.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes.
- Cheese should be melted and sauce bubbly.