First Place winner in a newspaper recipe contest, not mine, but my aunt had clipped it out. These enchiladas are sooo good, they taste as good as my favorite Mexican restrauant serves. The last time I made I ended up with 16, I used a whole chicken though. I did add about 1/2 cup half-and-half to thin the sauce, since I had some I need to use up, regular milk would work too.
- Cover chicken halfway with water and simmer until tender.Bone and chop chicken.
- Brown onion and garlic in butter. Remove garlic, add chicken, cumin and picante sauce.
- Salt and pepper to taste and simmer 5 minutes.
- Soften tortillas on hot, well oiled griddle.
- Fill tortillas with chicken mixture and cheese, reserving 2 cups cheese for topping.
- Place in a 13 x 7 1/2 inch casserole dish.
- Mix soup, sour cream and cumin. Pour over casserole. Top with remaining cheese and jalapeno peppers.
- Sprinkle with paprika. Bake at 350 degrees until hot and bubbling.