Mimi in Maine's Note:
A while ago as I was leafing through a magazine, I came upon a page advertising Crisco oil. I don't know why, but it caught my eye. It might have been the picture, or it might have been the way the recipe was printed on the page. I ripped the page out (it was my magazine) and tried it that night. My husband loved it--me too. I made everything according to the directions. I did make Guacamole to put on the top. The whole thing came out great; even the Enchilada sauce was delicious which I will use on other Mexican recipes. I have made it many times since.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups enchilada sauce
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup monterey jack cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
- 12 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 1Prepare the Enchilada sauce combining the last 8 ingredients: canola oil, flour, chili powder, cumin, chicken broth, tomato sauce, salt, and garlic powder in a saucepan.
- 2Heat the oil and stir in the flour and chili powder; cook for 1 minute.
- 3Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes; then set aside.
- 4In a medium bowl make the filling mixing the chicken, green onions, 1/2 cup of the cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup of the Monterey Jack, sour cream, chiles, and cilantro. Stir in 1/2 cup of Enchilada sauce; season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- 5Heat some oil in a large pan and fry tortillas, one at a time, until soft (about 10 seconds to a side).
- 6Drain on paper towels.
- 7Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
- 8Spread a small amount of the sauce in the bottom of the pan.
- 9Spread 2 heaping tablespoons of the chicken mixture on each tortilla and roll up.
- 10Place seam side down, side by side in the pan.
- 11Pour remaining sauce over the top.
- 12Top with remaining cheeses and bake at 350 degrees till bubbly; about 15-20 minutes.
- 13I garnish mine with guacamole, sour cream, and extra sliced green onions and cilantro.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Enchiladas
Serving Size: 1 (401 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 669.0
- Calories from Fat 283
- Total Fat 31.4 g
- Saturated Fat 12.5 g
- Cholesterol 101.0 mg
- Sodium 3513.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.7 g
- Sugars 17.6 g
- Protein 39.8 g