Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Tasty chicken enchiladas from a Better Homes & Gardens cookbook. A family favorite for years.
Make and share this Chicken Enchiladas recipe from Food.com.
- 236.59 ml chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, inced
- 29.58 ml cooking oil
- 14.79 ml all-purpose flour
- 453.59 g can diced tomatoes
- 453.59 g can tomato sauce
- 113.39 g canchopped green chili peppers
- 4.92 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 1.23 ml salt
- 473.18 ml cooked chicken
- 354.88 ml cheddar cheese, shredded
- 59.14 ml finely chopped onion
- 59.14 ml small pitted ripe olives, chopped
- 3.69 ml salt
- 72 inch corn tortillas
- 59.14 ml small pitted ripe olives, sliced
- 453.59 g can enchilada sauce
- Cook the 1 cup chopped onion and garlic in oil until onion is tender but not brown; stir in flour.
- Add undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili peppers, sugar, cumin and salt.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly; set aside.
- Combine chicken, HALF the cheese, the 1/4 cup onion, chopped olives and the 3/4 teaspoon salt.
- Set aside.
- In skillet, dip tortillas briefly in small amount of hot oil until limp but not crisp; drain (you can also soften instead in microwave for a few seconds.) Spoon 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture onto each tortilla; roll up.
- Place in a large (13x9x2-inch) baking dish.
- Pour tomato mixture over all.
- Pour enchilada sauce evenly over top.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350ºF for 15 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese; return to oven until cheese melts, 2 or 3 minutes.
- Top with the sliced olives.
Sharlene, What a great recipe! Just had a feed for 50 people and made three large pans of enchiladas. Yours was the first to go and people were asking for more! Thanks for posting.