Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Tasty chicken enchiladas from a Better Homes & Gardens cookbook. A family favorite for years.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, inced
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chili peppers
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup small pitted ripe olives, chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 72 inches corn tortillas
- 1⁄4 cup small pitted ripe olives, sliced
- 1 (16 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- Cook the 1 cup chopped onion and garlic in oil until onion is tender but not brown; stir in flour.
- Add undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili peppers, sugar, cumin and salt.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly; set aside.
- Combine chicken, HALF the cheese, the 1/4 cup onion, chopped olives and the 3/4 teaspoon salt.
- Set aside.
- In skillet, dip tortillas briefly in small amount of hot oil until limp but not crisp; drain (you can also soften instead in microwave for a few seconds.) Spoon 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture onto each tortilla; roll up.
- Place in a large (13x9x2-inch) baking dish.
- Pour tomato mixture over all.
- Pour enchilada sauce evenly over top.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350ºF for 15 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese; return to oven until cheese melts, 2 or 3 minutes.
- Top with the sliced olives.
Sharlene, What a great recipe! Just had a feed for 50 people and made three large pans of enchiladas. Yours was the first to go and people were asking for more! Thanks for posting.
Sharlene, This recipe was amazing!!! WOW I!!! I just made this dish tonight for my boyfriend and he just raved.Thans for the posting, i tink i might pull out my Better Homes & Garden cookbook and see what esle i can find. Yummy
Oh this was so good! I used half cheddar and half montery jack cheese. We can't get canned enchilada sauce so I used the package variety. I can't wait to make this again, we all loved it.