carrie sheridan's Note:
this is an incredibly special dish - it's a lot of work but Worth It - one of my 5 best recipes Ever!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 -8 chicken breasts
- 2 celery ribs, cut in pieces
- 1 onion, quartered
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 (7 ounce) cans whole green chilies
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomatillos
- 3 serrano chilies, seeded and chopped fine
- 3/4 cup chicken drippings or 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 10 flour tortillas
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 2 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1Preheat oven at 375.
- 2Wash and dry 6-8 chicken breasts. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 3Coarsely cut 2 celery stalks and 1 onion. Lay in a roasting pan: first the vegetables and then the chicken, skin side up. Add 3/4 cup dry white wine.
- 4Bake at 375 for 1 hour.
- 5Reserve juice. Let chicken cool and shred into thin slivers.
- 6Cream 8 oz cream cheese with mixer. Add 1/2 cup heavy cream, 3 tablespoons at a time.
- 7Add 1 chopped onion and the shredded chicken and blend with a spoon.
- 8Clean 2 cans of green chiles. Place in blender. Add tomatillos, chopped serrano chiles, chicken juice/broth. Blend at high speed until pureed.
- 9Add 1 egg and blend again. Add 1-1/2 cups heavy cream and blend again.
- 10Fill flour tortillas with cream cheese and chicken mixture [cover and refrigerate if making ahead].
- 11Pour blended sauce over tortillas and bake at 350 for 1 hour. Let sit for 15 minutes for sauce to set completely.
- 12Serve with sour cream and grated Parmesan cheese.
- 13You can make this hours or a day ahead.
- 14a 13 X 9 Corning or Pyrex glass pan is the best size for this.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Enchiladas
Serving Size: 1 (638 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1204.5
- Calories from Fat 778
- Total Fat 86.4 g
- Saturated Fat 45.7 g
- Cholesterol 344.9 mg
- Sodium 1165.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 13.1 g
- Protein 56.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: