Recipe by ellenej22
This recipe came from my old boss, I have modified it a bit. I don't know where she got it, she says she made it up but I doubt it. It's too good! In my opinion, this recipe is the perfect balance of a little spicy, and very rich on flavor, and of course, cheesy. Please note: If you don't have a good enchilada sauce, your enchiladas are not going to taste good no matter what you put inside them. I use Anne Marie's Enchilada Sauce which is almost a mole sauce. Use more chipotles for more heat. This is about medium-spicy as is. Usually for 1 lb of chicken I use 3 or 4 chicken breasts. Cheese can be adjusted according to your taste.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Mexican seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2⁄3 cup of diced onion
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 3 canned chipotle chiles (note 3 chipotles, not 3 cans)
- 1 (14 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese or 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheese, for top
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 cups of your favorite enchilada sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook chicken in oil and add salt, pepper, cumin, garlic powder and mexican blend seasoning until no longer pink in the center.
- Remove from pan and let cool.
- Add more oil to pan, cook onion until tender, add garlic (be careful not to burn), then add chipotles and green chile peppers and can of tomatoes.
- You will have to break up the tomatoes and chipotles.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Shred chicken with fork or fingers in small peices, removing fatty peices, add to mixture and stir.
- I cook the tortillas in oil over medium high heat just a bit on each side to soften and then drain on paper towels.
- You can also put in microwave to warm.
- Mix the sour cream and cheddar cheese in medium mixing bowl.
- Coat bottom of 9X13 pan with enchilada sauce.
- Add 1/2 cup or so of the chicken mixture to tortilla, add another 1/4 cup or so of cheese and sour cream micture, roll up and place seam side down in pan.
- Continue until you've used up cheese and chicken.
- Pour rest of enchilada sauce over enchiladas and top with remaining cheese.
- Cook for 20 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream.
- Can garnish with cilantro or chopped green onions.