Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Think outside the "dish." You can enjoy the flavor and texture of enchiladas in a slow cooker; just stack the tortillas instead of rolling them. We suggest lining your slow cooker with a slow-cooker bag so you can easily remove the stack from the cooker.
- 4.92 ml canola oil
- 236.59 ml onion, chopped
- 118.29 ml poblano chile, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 7.39 ml dried chipotle powder
- 411.06 g can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, drained
- 226.79 g can tomato sauce with basil garlic and oregano
- cooking spray
- 473.18 ml shredded cooked chicken breasts
- 236.59 ml frozen corn
- 425.24 g can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 5 (40 inch) corn tortillas
- 473.18 ml shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- fresh cilantro stem (optional)
- 1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion, poblano chile, and garlic to pan; cook 6 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently.
- 2. Stir in chile powder, tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Place half of tomato mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until almost smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining tomato mixture.
- 3. Coat a 5-quart round electric slow cooker with cooking spray; place 3 tablespoons tomato mixture in bottom of slow cooker. Combine remaining tomato mixture, chicken, corn, and beans.
- 4. Place one tortilla on sauce in slow cooker; pour 1 cup chicken mixture over tortilla; sprinkle with 1/3 cup cheese. Top with another tortilla. Repeat procedure with remaining chicken mixture, tortillas, and cheese. Cover and cook on LOW for 2 hours or until cheese melts and edges are lightly browned. Garnish with cilantro, if desired. Cut into 8 wedges.
- Cooking Light Slow Cooker Tonight, Oxmoor House.