Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is one of our favorite recipes. There was a deli that made this and I got the recipe indirectly from the owner. My kids love it and is very easy to make. I'm sure you'll love it, too. Everyone that I have shared this with makes it all the time!
- 1 dozen corn tortilla
- vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies, undrained
- 1 can beef broth (I use bouillon)
- 1 can chicken broth (I use bouillon or water from cooked chicken)
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 3 chicken breasts, boiled and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups water (leftover from cooking chicken)
- 1 tablespoon steak sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups cubed cheese (Velveeta type)
- shredded cheddar cheese
- monterey jack cheese
- diced avocado
- Cut 6 tortillas into 1/2 inch wide strips, set aside; cut 6 into 1/4 inch strips and fry in hot oil until crisp, set aside for garnish.
- Saute onion and garlic in 2 T.
- hot oil in a Dutch oven.
- Add remaining ingredients except 1/2 inch tortilla strips, cheese and paprika; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer 1 hour.
- Add tortilla strips, velveeta simmer uncovered, 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with paprika, and serve with garnishes on top.
Wow! What a great soup! My husband doesn't like onions so I mulched them in my food processor with the green chilis. It still added wonderful flavor and he didn't know it was in there. He loved it and had two servings! We all loved this soup!! Thanks for a great recipe!! YUMMM!!
This is such a delicious soup! It tastes very similar to chili's soup which is so yummy! Thanks for sharing.
I was curious about the ingredients, but it all comes together to make a fantastic soup! My family went crazy over it. Thanks so much!