Prep 45 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a casserole that tastes like white sauce chicken enchiladas! It is made with tortillas instead of noodles. I usually serve with spanish rice.
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cups cheese, mexican blend, divided
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cumin, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cilantro or 1⁄2 teaspoon parsley
- 3 cups cooked chicken
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can green chilies
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 12 (6 inch) flour tortillas, cut in half
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease 9x13 pan.
- Mix cream cheese, onion and 1.5 cups cheese. Mix in garlic, 1/4 tsp cumin and parsley, then and chicken.
- In medium saucepan melt butter, then stir in flour. Gradually add broth and bring to a boil, 2 minutes or until thick. Remove from heat. Stur in 1 cup cheese, sour cream, chilies, thyme, salt, pepper and 1/2 tsp cumin.
- Spread 1/2 cup of cooked mixture into greased pan. Top with 6 tortilla halves, 1/3 of the cream cheese mixture, and 1/4 of the remaining cooked mixture (I spread these evenly with my hands). Repeat these layers twice, then top off with the last 6 tortilla halves, then remainder of cooked mixture, and top with 1/2 cup cheese. Cover, bake at 350 for 30 minutes, then bake uncovered for 10 minutes.
Made this last night and I'm sorry to say that I have NO leftovers! My husband and children loved this meal :) The only thing I'm going to do different is increase the cream cheese/chicken mix...I think it was a little out of balance with the sauce. I had sauce left over and only had enough chicken to do 2 very thin layers. Still so good!!!