2 hrs 15 mins
Lab Chef's Note:
This recipe is a family favorite. The spices can be adjusted for personal taste. Roll some in a flour tortilla and smother with your favorite enchilada sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 whole chickens, Cut up or 1 whole chicken, Quartered
- 236.59 ml chicken stock
- 226.79 g cheddar cheese, Shredded
- 1 onion, Small dice
- 118.29 ml fresh cilantro, chopped fine (optional)
- 29.58 ml chili powder
- 7.39 ml cumin powder
- 7.39 ml dry oregano
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1-2 garlic clove, small dice
- 1If you can find a whole chicken cut up in your store, use that. I cannot ever find one that is already cut up. So I will buy a whole chicken and quarter it on the bone, disposing of the spine.
- 2Add chicken to a large pot, cover the chicken with water, and place over med/high heat.
- 3Cook for 30-40 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 F.
- 4Remove from the liquid and place onto a plate to cool to room temperature. 30 minutes.
- 5(OPTIONAL STEP): Reduce the remaining liquid to 1 cup and use instead of chicken stock.
- 6Cut room temperature chicken into 1/2 inch chunks. Cut the onion into a small dice.
- 7In large skillet over med to med/high heat add 1 Tablespoon of oil and Saute the onion for 2-3 minutes, stir often. (some browning is ok). Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- 8Add the cut chicken to the skillet and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the Chili, cumin and oregano to the chicken and stir well.
- 9Reduce to med heat and add 1/2 of the stock, stirring constantly the liquid will adsorb into the chicken and break it up to shredded consistency. When the chicken is starting to look dry and has adsorbed the liquid. Add the remaining stock and continue stirring until almost dry.
- 10Remove from the heat add the Cilantro and season with salt and pepper as desired.
- 11Place chicken into a large bowl and cover. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours until cool.
- 12Add the cheese and mix until well incorporated.
- 13Fill tortillas for enchiladas, or refrigerate 5 days or freeze 2 months.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Enchilada Filling
Serving Size: 1 (195 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 399.3
- Calories from Fat 263
- Total Fat 29.3 g
- Saturated Fat 10.9 g
- Cholesterol 122.1 mg
- Sodium 293.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 29.5 g