1 hr 20 mins
Not the most "healthy" recipe, but it's very tasty! Very creamy and rich enchilada chicken casserole. If you prefer the more traditional rolled enchiladas, all you have to do is place the chicken and sauce mix (approx 3 Tbsp) in the center of each corn tortilla, roll, and place in casserole dish with the seam side down...then cover the rolls with remaining sauce and cheese. I was feeling lazy, so I did it casserole style.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 12 ounces canned diced green chiles
- 1 1/2 cups colby cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 18 corn tortillas
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2Place chicken breasts in large soup pan and cover with water. Add cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and bouillon cube. Boil over med-high heat for 25 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove chicken from pot and place in a plastic bowl. Reserve 2 c of the "broth".
- 3Mix 2 c of broth, sour cream, green chiles, onion, garlic, and 1/2 cheese. Bring to a boil stirring continuously. Cook for 10 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly and remove from heat.
- 4Shred chicken breasts and add 1 c of the sauce to the chicken. Mix well.
- 5Using a soup ladle, spread a small amount of the sauce in a 9x13" casserole dish. Place 6 of the corn tortillas along the bottom of the dish, overlapping slightly. Spoon 1/2 of the chicken mixture over tortillas. Repeat.
- 6Pour remaining sauce over top layer of tortillas and sprinkle remaining cheese over the entire dish.
- 7Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes at 375 degrees. Take casserole out of oven, remove foil, and bake for an additional 5 minutes to brown cheese.
- 8Remove from oven and let stand for about 3-5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Enchilada Casserole in Green Chile and Sour Cream Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (249 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 539.4
- Calories from Fat 263
- Total Fat 29.2 g
- Saturated Fat 15.7 g
- Cholesterol 116.8 mg
- Sodium 743.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 29.7 g