Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Not the most "healthy" recipe, but it's very tasty! Very creamy and rich enchilada chicken casserole. If you prefer the more traditional rolled enchiladas, all you have to do is place the chicken and sauce mix (approx 3 Tbsp) in the center of each corn tortilla, roll, and place in casserole dish with the seam side down...then cover the rolls with remaining sauce and cheese. I was feeling lazy, so I did it casserole style.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 12 ounces canned diced green chiles
- 1 1⁄2 cups colby cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 18 corn tortillas
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place chicken breasts in large soup pan and cover with water. Add cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and bouillon cube. Boil over med-high heat for 25 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove chicken from pot and place in a plastic bowl. Reserve 2 c of the "broth".
- Mix 2 c of broth, sour cream, green chiles, onion, garlic, and 1/2 cheese. Bring to a boil stirring continuously. Cook for 10 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly and remove from heat.
- Shred chicken breasts and add 1 c of the sauce to the chicken. Mix well.
- Using a soup ladle, spread a small amount of the sauce in a 9x13" casserole dish. Place 6 of the corn tortillas along the bottom of the dish, overlapping slightly. Spoon 1/2 of the chicken mixture over tortillas. Repeat.
- Pour remaining sauce over top layer of tortillas and sprinkle remaining cheese over the entire dish.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes at 375 degrees. Take casserole out of oven, remove foil, and bake for an additional 5 minutes to brown cheese.
- Remove from oven and let stand for about 3-5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
my husband and I thought it was bland.. Won't make again.
i love not having to roll:) i made some subbs based on what i had on hand and needed to use up. I really enjoyed. i used up some old cooked turkey from the freezer. so i skipped the boiling. i did 1 cup water, about 10 oz. green taco sauce(needed to be used) about 12 oz fat free yogurt. all in place of the broth and sour cream. I only had a 7 oz of green chilies. i supplemented with 2.5 diced serranos. and red pepper flakes to desired heat. I like spice. i used a mexican blend cheese. extra onion. and used only about 1/2 the tortillas(no overlapping) yummy, sorry to tweak so muchm, but thank you for the great base.
I did this as a casserole too. Tried it mostly because the ingredients were what I had available. It was a hit with the whole family! I'll be making this one again.