Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
So easy and so yummy!
Make and share this Chicken Enchilada Casserole - Gluten Free recipe from Food.com.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (I've substituted taco seasoning before when I was out of chili powder)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 3 cups cooked chicken, boned, shredded
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
- 10 corn tortillas
- 8 ounces shredded cheese (Monterey Jack, cheddar, or a Mexican blend your preference)
- sour cream, jalapenos, and cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a large, deep skillet with little bit of oil; heat over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, chili powder, salt and pepper; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add one cup of tomatoes, tomato sauce, and cilantro (if used). Cook 5 minutes.
- Dump shredded chicken over tomato mixture in skillet. Spoon lime juice over chicken. Stir chicken and lime juice into tomato mixture. Heat a few minutes, if necessary. (If chicken is still warm from cooking, you will not need to heat more.)
- Spread one half of the jar of salsa in an ungreased 9″ x 13” baking dish; top with 5 tortillas (break into pieces as needed to mostly cover salsa).
- Top with chicken mixture; sprinkle with half of the cheese.
- Top with remaining tortillas. Spread with remaining salsa; sprinkle w/remaining cheese.
- Bake until cheese is melted and casserole is hot, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Adapted from Valerie and Woman’s World.