Recipe by TammieV
This recipe appears by special request. Creamy chicken and green chilies I use the regular sized tortillas.. not the large ones.I overlap the tortillas to make the layer. I make it up in an oblong serving dish, I think it is about a 9 1/2 inch by 11 inch pan. But any size you would put 1 full cake mix into will work well . I love this recipe.
Top Review by dmac085
This is a great mild casserole! I don't like cr. of mushroom soup so I used cr. of celery, diced up some roasted red bell peppers and about 1/2 a can of Green Giant Extra Sweet Corn drained and sometimes a few spoonsful of Herdez Salsa Verde to the soup mix. I'm thinking of trying to lightly fry the corn tortillas and drain them before layering in the casserole to enhance the flavor of the corn torillas. This is one of my favorite casseroles. Please try it with the green chiles! I'm not a heat person and green chiles are about flavor not heat so they contribute a lot to the recipe!
- 3-4 chicken breasts (or 6 Halves)
- 283.49 g can cream of mushroom soup
- 283.49 g can cream of chicken soup
- 226.79 g can diced green chilies (hot or mild, or a small can of each)
- 283.49 g package cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 small onion, diced
- 14.79 ml garlic powder
- 4.92 ml salt
- 12 corn tortillas
- 453.59 g sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Place Chicken in large saucepan and cover with water.
- Sprinkle in a handful of oregano,add garlic powder and salt.
- Boil about 20 minutes and shred from bones.
- Save broth.
- Mix soups, sour cream & chiles in large pan.
- Add only enough broth to slightly thin.
- Re-season as needed.
- Simmer on low 15 minutes.
- Add chicken and diced onion.
- In casserole dish, arrange 6 Tortillas flat across bottom, spoon in 1/2 the sauce, sprinkle 1/2 the cheese.
- Repeat- Tortillas, sauce and cheese.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.