Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 30 mins
Make ahead tip: You can assemble casserole ahead of time. Cover and chill overnight; bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until bubbly. Or freeze casserole, thaw in fridge 24 hours, bake 1 hour at 350 degrees.
- cooking spray
- 1 1⁄4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup beer (I used light beer)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) can sliced ripe olives
- 1 (7 ounce) canchopped green chilies, drained
- 5 tablespoons wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 2 large egg whites, slightly beaten (or you can substitute 6 tablespoons egg substitute)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 4 (6 inch) corn tortillas, cut in half
- 1⁄2 cup fat free sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup bottled salsa
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium heat until hot.
- Add chicken; cook 6 minutes on each side or until done.
- Remove chicken from pan; cool.
- Shred chicken with 2 forks.
- Re-coat pan with cooking spray; place over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion & garlic; saute for 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Add chicken, beer, red pepper & tomatoes; cook 10 minutes or until liquid almost disappears.
- Remove from heat.
- Reserve 1 tablespoon green onion & 1 tablespoon olives for garnish. stir remaining green onion, olives & chilies into chicken mixture; set aside.
- Combine flour, salt, cumin & coriander in medium saucepan.
- Gradually add milk, while stirring with a whisk until blended.
- Place over medium heat; cook 7 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly with whisk.
- Mix 2 cheeses together in a bowl.
- Spread 1/2 cup white sauce in bottom of 2 1/2 qt casserole dish coated with cooking spray.
- Arrange 4 tortilla halves over sauce; top with 2 cups chicken mixture, 1/2 cup white sauce & 1/2 cup cheese mixture.
- Repeat layers twice, ending with sauce.
- Set remaining 1/2 cup cheese aside.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until hot.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese, reserved green onions & reserved olives; bake additional 5 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Spoon onto serving plates.
- Top each serving with 1 tablespoon sour cream & 1 tablespoon salsa.