Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A yummy, cheesy way to get all the flavors of a chicken enchilada in one dish! You can also use leftover chicken or turkey.
- 3 large chicken breasts
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies
- 1 cup pimento cheese (or shredded cheddar cheese)
- 3 soft taco-size flour tortillas
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can red pinto beans, drained
- 2 cups colby-monterey jack cheese, divided
- 1 (10 ounce) can red enchilada sauce
- Boil chicken, then cube or shred, reserving water.
- Mix together cooked chicken, taco seasoning, green chiles and pimento cheese.
- Dip one tortilla in reserved water from boiling chicken. Place in the bottom of a greased round, deep casserole dish. (This keeps the tortilla from getting crunchy on the bottom. If you're lucky, your tortilla will fit snugly in the bottom of the dish. If not, tear it into strips.).
- Top tortilla with half of the chicken mixture.
- Top chicken with half the can of pinto beans.
- Top pinto beans with 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Repeat layers - soaked tortilla, chicken, beans, cheese.
- Top with last tortilla.
- Pour can of red enchilada sauce over the top. Poke holes in the tortilla to allow sauce to drizzle down.
- Top with remaining 1 cup of cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, until bubbly.
This dish is one of my family favorite. Bur taste alot better minus the pimento cheese. I'm giving this dish five stars.