Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe also came from my cousin who took an online cooking class. It is best if you put a layer of salsa in it to give it more zing!
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, uncooked, trimmed of fat and cubed
- 1 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1 (19 ounce) can green enchilada sauce
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1⁄2 cup finely shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup finely shredded extra- sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup salsa
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine chicken and sour cream. Pour ½ cup enchilada sauce into the bottom of the 10x8 inch casserole dish. Place four tortillas on top of sauce. Layer 1/2 of the chicken mixture on top of tortillas. Sprinkle with ¼ cup of cheese. Layer a cup of salsa. Place 4 tortillas on top of this. Layer remaining chicken mixture and cheese on top of tortillas. Cover with remaining tortillas. Pour remaining enchilada sauce over tortillas. Cover the casserole with foil and bake for 35 min, or until hot and bubbly. Before serving, let casserole rest 5 minutes after removing from oven.
I like how simple this recipe is! I substituted half of the sour cream for cream cheese to make a richer sauce. I also added a quarter of an onion (it was what I had left over and wanted to use it) and a clove of garlic since I'm a garlic nut :)
Easy! I added fat-free refried beans, extra fiber and protein and throught it turned out well. I did have to cook it longer though to cook the chicken all the way. Very good.
I made this casserole for the first time last night. The only changes I will make for next time will be to use red enchilada sauce instead of green. You were correct about the salsa- it's a great addition! Thanks for sharing.