Recipe by CandyTX
Candy got this recipe from one of those little paper recipe books you can buy at the check-out... it quickly became a family favorite. Note: I have this aversion to canned chicken so I always boiled and shredded my own, but I'm told the canned chicken was fine.
Top Review by embutterfly75
This got mixed reviews at my house. I thought it was okay. Some of the family liked it, some didn't, so probably won't make again. If you already have the chicken pre-cooked this takes no time to throw together so it would be an easy week night meal.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 dozen corn tortilla
- 2 (2 1/4 ounce) cans black olives, sliced
- 3 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion in oil.
- Add chicken, tomato sauce, tomatoes, taco seasoning and garlic powder and blend well.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes uncovered.
- In 13X9X2 inch glass dish, place 4 tortillas, followed by 1/3 of chicken mixture and spread evenly. Sprinkle 1/3 of olives and 1/3 of cheese.
- Repeat with layers until you have a topping of cheese.
- Bake at 350-F for 30-40 mins until heated through and cheese is melted.