Recipe by CarolT
My mom made this often when we were growing up and I make it for my family. It is a good make ahead casserole and the leftovers are great. Make two and freeze one for next time.
- 1 large onion, cut into fourths
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 lb cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 ounce) can Ro-Tel tomatoes
- 6 -8 corn tortillas
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut chicken in quarters and cook in large pot of water with onion until done.
- Remove chicken from broth to cool. Strain the both and return it to the pot.
- Pick chicken from the bone, tear into bite size pieces (do not cut).
- In a bowl mix together chicken, Ro-tel tomatoes and 1/2 of the cheese.
- Heat up broth. Cut tortillas in half. Soften tortillas in hot broth as you layer in a 9 x 13 pan. The tortillas soften fast so work with one or two pieces at a time.
- Layer tortillas, 1/2 chicken mix, tortillas.
- Mix soup with 1 can of broth. Pour over layers.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Bake at 350 until cheese is melted and bubbly.